Before joining this discussion, check out the following recommended reading:
The most effective action our community can take to protect the natural environment and tackle climate change is to build a more compact city. This is why the 2040 OCP focuses growth in areas where homes, jobs, and amenities are all easily accessible.
Key directions to achieve this vision include:
- Supporting more compact housing forms to limit sprawl, protect agriculture and leave more land in a natural state
- Encouraging energy-efficient, multi-unit housing
- Focusing employment growth in Urban Centres
- Creating amenity-rich neighbourhoods that meet more of people’s daily needs and require less trips by car
- Continuing to protect and preserve ecologically sensitive lands
- Growing in areas that best support transit, walking, and biking to lower greenhouse gas emissions
Questions for discussion
- What do you like about the key directions?
- How might these key directions be improved?
- Is there anything missing?